Ben is growing up pretty quickly, and his bed which was a converted crib, was getting small. After considering things like race car beds from a department store, I decided that a castle would make a better bed because 1) it suits his personality well, and 2) it also makes playing in his room more fun which might be pretty important as winter nears. Since I was taking a belated week off from work, it seemed the perfect time to build it myself.
The first day, I bought a mattress and set about making the plans. The second day I bought the wood and cut it up according to my plans.
The next three days were all about routing the ends, priming the boards, masking, painting and assembling the bed. In all I used two sheets of 1/2 inch MDF, 1 sheet of 3/4 plywood ( which was overkill ) and three pieces of 1x6 white board. Painting consumed close to 16 cans of spray paint ( 8 primer and 8 stone textured ). That was a lot more paint than I had anticipated.
You can see the final child's castle bed here.